Watch this and you won't be buying it at the store anymore.
Meet Kevin Carlin a.k.a. “The Salsa Guy,” a Cincinnati expert known for dishing out some delicious salsa. With 15 years of salsa making experience, it’s safe to say he’s an expert at the dish we all love. This salsa expert shows us some of the do’s and don’ts of homemade salsa. Watch this and we’re pretty sure you won’t be buying it at the store anymore.
The Salsa Guy’s Homemade Red Salsa
What you’ll need
- 20 roma tomatoes
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 8 hot peppers of your choice (In this batch, we used jalapenos and Hungarian wax peppers)
- 1 onion
- 6-8 garlic cloves (depending on your taste)
- 2 limes
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cumin
- Freshly ground pepper
- A food processor
- Core your tomatoes, making sure to get all the seeds out.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and add to your food processor.
- Pulse them 10 times, then pour into a large bowl.
- Roughly chop the onion and peppers, then add to the food processor.
- Peel the garlic, add to your food processor.
- Tear off the top of top of your cilantro bunch and add to the food processor. Be sure to do this last.
- Once you’ve got your onions, garlic, peppers and cilantro in the food processor, pulse 10-12 times.
- Pour into your large bowl of pulsed tomatoes.
- Squeeze the juice out of two limes and add to the mix, along with your salt, pepper and cumin.
- Mix well and transfer into a different bowl.