The following New Orleans area events have been canceled, postponed or rescheduled due to concerns related to the community spread of coronavirus.
Festivals & Major Events
Organizers for several New Orleans festivals have postponed or called off events amid coronavirus concerns in New Orleans and its surrounding areas.
Click here to see the list of upcoming festivals impacted by COVID-19.
Here are some top headlines about the coronavirus pandemic impacting major sporting events:
- NCAA cancels basketball tournaments
- The Southeastern Conference (SEC) extends cancellation of all sports until April 15
- NBA suspends season after player tests positive for virus
- PGA Tour canceled in latest of suspended sporting events
- LSU baseball vs. Ole Miss series canceled
Stay up to date with the latest sports updates and impacts due to COVID-19 at Fox8live.com/sports.
- Louisiana Irish-Italian Parade – originally scheduled for noon on Sunday, March 22
- Inaugural Italian-Irish Parade – originally scheduled for 1 p.m. on Sunday, March 29
- Other related events including Italian-Irish Gala, “Tap the Keg”
Concerts & Shows
- Live Nation, AEG halting all large-scale tours in US, abroad
- Saenger Theatre, Mahalia Jackson Theatre suspend all upcoming performances in response to coronavirus outbreak
- House of Blues canceling and postponing number of shows: Visit House of Blues website for updates
- Ali Wong’s “The Milk & Honey Tour”- Wong’s New Orleans show at the Saenger Theater scheduled for Sunday, March 15 has been rescheduled. The new date is Aug. 16 at 7 p.m. All tickets for the original performance will be honored at the rescheduled events.
- Cirque du Soleil’s “Bazzar” and “OVO” – All performances of Cirque du Soleil’s BAZZAR in NEW ORLEANS and OVO in LAFAYETTE have been cancelled. Ticket holders will be contatcted to start refund process. Touring plans for 2020 are being revisited.
- Trevor Noah at Saenger Theatre – Show scheduled for March 28 has been postponed. New date TBA. All tickets for original performance will be honored at rescheduled date. Patrons not able to attend the new date are eligible for refunds at point of purchase.
- Rivertown Theaters – All performances canceled until further notice. Later dates will be rescheduled for “Peter & The Starcatcher,” Ricky Graham’s “The Golden Girls,” and Disney’s Moana, Jr. as well as “The Drowsy Chaperone” (originally planned for May 1 – 17 as necessary).
- Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra – All performances through at least April 13, 2020 are cancelled.
- New Orleans Ballet Association – Upcoming productions of Houston Ballet and Les Ballet Trockadero de Monte Carlo at the Mahalia Jackson Theater have been postponed. Both companies will reschedule to the 2020-2021 season of dance.
- George Lopez – The George Lopez show scheduled for Friday, May 8 at the Saenger Theatre has been rescheduled to Friday, July 24th. All tickets for the original performance will be honored at the rescheduled date. For more information, please visit georgelopez.com or saengernola.com.
Major Retailers & Restaurants
- Disney closing stores amid coronavirus pandemic
- City of New Orleans release guidelines for restaurants and bars as coronavirus cases rise
- Chick-fil-A temporarily closing dining room seating over coronavirus concerns
- Lakeside Shopping Center temporarily closing, Oakwood Center modifies mall hours in response to coronavirus pandemic
- Louisiana bars, theaters closed, restaurants limited due to coronavirus
- Canal Place closing March 17 to April 16 – Visit website for updates.
- Sephora to close all stores in U.S., Canada due to coronavirus, Microsoft closing worldwide
- Belk stores temporarily close, Target cutting hours due to coronavirus
- JCPenney closing stores, business offices in response to global coronavirus pandemic
Other Local Events & Attractions
Here are some recent local headlines regarding the coronavirus outbreak:
- Archdiocese of New Orleans cancels all masses and St. Joseph altars
- New Orleans art museums temporarily close due to coronavirus concerns
- Audubon Nature Institute temporarily closing facilities to the public
- Wednesday at the Square cancels concert series due to coronavirus concerns
- 2020 Crescent City Classic transitions to ‘virtual race’ due to coronavirus outbreak
- City Park closes Carousel Gardens Amusement Park; cancels birthday parties, other events
- All casinos across Louisiana to close for minimum of 14 days
Below is a listing of local events that have announced cancellations or postponements around the New Orleans area:
- Power Up: 2020 Women’s Leadership Conference – The event scheduled for Thursday, March 19 at the Hyatt Regency New Orleans has been rescheduled for Aug. 20.
- Women’s Giving Circle Kickoff Mass and Luncheon – The event hosted by the Catholic Community Foundation scheduled for Tuesday, March 17 at the Audubon Tea Room has been postponed.
- Art in Bloom – Originally scheduled for March 26 – 29, NOMA will reschedule the event for June 17-21.
- Jazz on the Bayou – The two-day live music event scheduled for March 28-29 at jazz pianist Ronnie Kole’s home in Slidell has been postponed.
- Susan G. Komen Perfectly Pink Salute to Survivors Luncheon – Organizers will postpone the event scheduled for March 27 to a later date.
- Native Pride 5k Run/Walk – The inaugural event by the United Houma Nation tribe scheduled for March 21 has been postponed.
- Tails But No Black Tie – The fundraising event for City Park Stables scheduled for March 14 has been rescheduled for Oct. 17.
- American Italian Cultural Center postpones the grand opening of the American Italian Museum and Event Venue on Thursday, March 19, until further notice.
- 2020 A Taste of Covington – Covington Business Association postpones the 2020 event scheduled for April 1 to April 5.
- Disney on Ice presents Dream Big – Disney On Ice presents Dream Big scheduled on Thursday, April 23 through Sunday, April 26, 2020 at the UNO Lakefront Arena in New Orleans, La. has been cancelled. Refund information is located at www.arena.uno.edu.
- Bridge House / Grace House – Cochon Cotillion XXIV has been rescheduled to August 29, 2020 at Mardi Gras World (Eastbank). Also Women of Substance has been rescheduled for November 5, 2020 at the Audubon Tea Room.
Contact us to notify the public about any other major event cancellations. Check back for updates as we get them.
Stay up to date with full coverage of Coronavirus news at Fox8live.com or download our FOX 8 News app.
Stay connected with NOLA Weekend!
NOLA Weekend is the ultimate destination for New Orleans food, things to do, culture, and lifestyle.