Learn a little more about this sweet New Orleans tradition.
Sweeten your knowledge about New Orleans’ iconic dessert — the beignet. We rounded up a few fun facts about the treat:
- Beignets were designated the official state doughnut of Louisiana in 1986.
- The best description of the treat is a French-style doughnut, traditionally fried and then topped with powdered sugar. It was popularized by French-Creole colonists.
- The word “beignet” originates from the French term for “fritter.”
- The dessert is traditionally served with Café au lait — coffee and chicory with steamed milk.
- Beignets are classified as a choux pastry dish. The choux pastry attribute gives beignets their airy, puffy quality.
Watch the video to learn more about this tasty treat from Cafe Beignet.