French Quarter Fest 2020 will now take place in October amid COVID-19 fears. The popular New Orleans music festival has been rescheduled for Oct. 1 to Oct. 4.
Organizers announced the big change on Friday (March 13), in the latest impact to major New Orleans events due to the coronavirus pandemic.
“French Quarter Festivals, Inc.’s top priority is the health and safety of our fans, artists, staff, volunteers, sponsors, and community. Following the recommendation of public health officials and with the support of the City of New Orleans, French Quarter Festival 2020 has been rescheduled to October 1- 4 due to COVID-19 concerns,” organizers said in a release.
More than 1,700 Louisiana musicians were scheduled to perform at the festival celebrating New Orleans’ diverse, unique culture. The festival was originally scheduled for April 16 to April 19 at Woldenberg Park and the French Quarter.
“We understand the impact this news brings to so many people. For fans who were traveling, we encourage you to contact your airline and hotel immediately for any changes. We are communicating directly with all artists, vendors, sponsors and staff on next steps,” organizers said in a release.
This is the second time festival organizers were forced to reschedule the festival this year.
Last year, organizers announced they were moving festival dates a week later than usual due to a scheduling conflict and potential impacts from the NCAA Women’s Final Four.
In 2019, the attendance was an estimated 825,000 with an economic impact of nearly $200 million.
In addition to French Quarter Fest, French Quarter Festivals, Inc. also produces Satchmo SummerFest.
For more information, visit the French Quarter Fest website at www.fqfi.org.
Stay up to date with full coverage of Coronavirus news at Fox8live.com or download our FOX 8 News app.
Stay connected with NOLA Weekend!
NOLA Weekend is the ultimate destination for New Orleans food, things to do, culture, and lifestyle.