Every year, the Ritz-Carlton New Orleans gets decked out with holiday joy, and this year is no exception. The hotel unveiled two gingerbread structures: A life-sized a gingerbread replica of the Canal streetcar featuring notable New Orleanians and a gingerbread tugboat named the S.S. Bingle.
On the first-floor lobby, guests will be able to see a tugboat named the S.S. Bingle in honor of the beloved holiday mascot of Maison Blanche department store, which formerly occupied hotel’s building.
Continuing up to the third-floor lobby, guests will be greeted by elaborate holiday decor, with the centerpiece being a replica of the Canal streetcar with notable New Orleanians from the city’s past and present being portrayed as passengers in each of the windows.
Here are the local stars of the culinary and visual arts, music, literature and sports depicted on the streetcar:
- New Orleans Saints and Pelicans owner and philanthropist Gayle Benson
- Record-breaking New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees
- Comedienne and television star Ellen DeGeneres
- Rex, King of Carnival
- Award-winning chef and master of Creole and Cajun cuisine Emeril Lagasse
- Popular bounce artist Big Freedia
- Legendary rhythm and blues musician Allen Toussaint
- The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans’ resident entertainer Jeremy Davenport
- ‘Grande Dame Restaurateur’ Ella Brennan
- Ashley Longshore, Louisiana-based painter, gallery owner and entrepreneur
- New Orleans Pelicans star forward Zion Williamson
- Legendary singer, songwriter and keyboardist Art Neville
- John Goodman, award winning actor and New Orleans resident
- Six-time Grammy Award winner and New Orleans icon Dr. John, the Night Tripper
Papa Noel himself is shown as the conductor of the streetcar, wishing everyone a festive “Merry Christmas, y’all!” How fun is that?
The gingerbread house is something guests look forward to seeing each year. The adornment of the tugboat and streetcar, consisting largely of gingerbread, has been months in the baking. Both structures will be covered from end to end in gingerbread, frosting and other confections. Yum!
Ingredients for the gingerbread streetcar include 444 pounds of flour, 444 pounds of icing sugar, 400 eggs, 124 pounds of corn syrup, 98 pounds of brown sugar, 80 pounds of butter, 58 pounds of molasses, 44 pounds of white sugar and 30 pounds of egg whites.
The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans, is located on the edge of the French Quarter on 921 Canal Street.
For more information about The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans holiday happenings please visit www.ritzcarlton.com/neworleans.
Stay connected with NOLA Weekend!
NOLA Weekend is the ultimate destination for New Orleans food, things to do, culture, and lifestyle.