Gris-Gris set to re-open, again, this time with a new business model

Gris-Gris owner and chef Eric Cook re-emerges with a new plan to open his Lower Garden District restaurant once again after temporarily closing earlier this month.

Now, Gris-Gris will switch gears with a new business model by booking private dining events tailored to small groups for August and September.

Source: Gris-Gris via Facebook

Inspired by his “Dinner After Dark” series created in the past, Cook will allow small groups to book an exclusive in-restaurant experience for a safer, more intimate dining. For this new plan, Cook will work directly with guests to plan unique menus for dinners, weekend brunch or cocktail parties, specific to each group.

“We’ve really missed sharing our passion for true New Orleans hospitality and food,” Cook said. “We are continuing the fight to keep our culture alive and show the world our resilience as a united community – and friends and family around the table is a good place to start.”

 

Earlier this month, Cook shared an emotional open letter on social media after having to close because an employee tested positive for COVID-19.

In the post, expressed frustration during his restaurant’s uphill battle during the pandemic, calling it a “lose/lose situation.”

“It would be really great to know that if this is really about saving human life and about protecting people and our community, then there would be some kind of plan to keep people safe, first and foremost, while also keeping our small businesses from shutting down permanently,” Cook said in the post.

Prior to closing for a second time, Gris-Gris cautiously reopened for takeout only before transitioning into dine-in service on July 1.

Diners interested in the exclusive dining experience can make reservations by emailing events@grisgrisnola.com or calling/texting (504) 435-5151. Cook said he plans to keep the restaurant closed in August and September for additional in-restaurant dining and focus solely on intimate private dinners.