Here's a slice of southern comfort on a plate.
Is pecan pie the most popular Southern dessert?
Well, the dessert is likely to pop up on your mom’s or grandmother’s table the next time you visit, especially during the holidays.
The staple is a favorite on the holiday dessert table, and a slice of the sweet slice of heaven usually gives a feeling of southern comfort.
Mambo’s executive chef Danny Holsomback thinks pecan pie is truly an iconic Southern dish. Holsomback brings us in the kitchen to create his version of the dish.
“One of the most controversial things about this dish is actually just how you pronounce the name,” Holsomback said, referencing the divisive pronunciation debate.
Whether you say “pee-can” or “pah-kahn,” there probably won’t be a debate over how fast you eat it.
Mambo’s Pecan Pie
Ingredients for pie dough
- 10 – 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
Ingredients for pie filling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups chopped pecans
To make the pie dough:
· In a large bowl mix the butter and sugar until pale; this takes 3-5 minutes.
· Once mixture is ready, add egg and mix.
· In another bowl combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder.
· Add the flour gradually until mixture is dough-like (the dough should look rough, not smooth).
· Press dough into a round flat disk and wrap tightly in plastic.
· Put the dough in fridge for 2 hours.
· Remove dough from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
· Roll the dough and fit into a pie pan
· Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
To make the filling:
· In a bowl whisk together sugar, corn syrup, butter, eggs, vanilla, and salt.
· Add pecans in the pie plate and pour filling over them.
· Carefully, mix the pecans and filling (be careful not to poke crust).
· Bake pie for 1.5 hours or until edges are firm and center is cooked thoroughly.
For more information about Mambo’s, visit the website.
Recipe courtesy of Mambo’s
Created in partnership with Mambo’s