One new business wants to help king cake lovers who are tired of waiting in line and driving around town to scoop their favorites. King Cake Hub will offer some of the area’s most coveted king cakes at a single location.
King Cake Hub looks to ease the hassle of king cake shopping with a new website for online ordering from several bakeries and pickup from one convenient location. The new venture is the brainchild of Will Samuels, former co-owner of the shuttered Pizza Nola.
The King Cake Hub will open on Jan. 6, 2019 with a Carnival Kickoff featuring Benny Grunch and the Bunch, Panorama Brass Band, Professor Carl Nivale and other special guests. The event is free and will take place at the King Cake Hub location.
Samuels says he will base his retail shop at Mystère Mansion, home of the Mortuary Haunted House, at 4800 Canal St in Mid-City.
So far, five bakeries have confirmed distribution at King Cake Hub including Gambino’s, Cannata’s Bakery, Hi-Do Bakery, Bywater Bakery and Girls Gone Vegan. Cakes from each of the partner bakeries are available for pre-order. Customers can pick up king cakes starting Jan. 6 and throughout Carnival.
In addition to the bakery partners’ offerings, King Cake Hub is developing a new King Cake in association with Gambino’s Bakery — the Epiphany King Cake.
“Our new Epiphany King Cake will honor seventy years of Carnival tradition while topped with a modern twist of your new favorite cream cheese icing,” Samuels said.
The Epiphany King Cake is available for pre-order now with an initial pickup date of Jan. 6. Samuels plans on having the cake available for shipping and local delivery.
For the ultimate king cake lover, the hub also introduces the “ultimate King Cake package for Carnival, 2019: the King Cake Coterie.”
“Each week members of the Coterie will receive a specialty King Cake by one of the top bakers in the area made exclusively for the Coterie,” Samuels said.
Membership in the King Cake Coterie is limited to 200, although another batch may be offered depending on demand. The King Cake Coterie is available now for purchase but only until December 31, 2018.
Offerings exclusively available to the King Cake Coterie include the following:
- Cannata’s Grocery: King Berry Royale (berry delicious with gooey butter filling)
- Second Harvest Food Bank: Bananas Foster King Cake (supporting the organization’s efforts to provide thousands of meals throughout South Louisiana and beyond)
- Bywater Bakery: Pineapple Passion Fruit King Cake
- Hi-Do Bakery: Chocolate Cream Cheese King Cake
- Balestra’s Bakery: Caramel Crepes du Leche King Cake
- Chef Lisa Barbato (Rivista’s Bakery): Galette des Rois with chestnut, honey and orange flower water
- Gambino’s Bakery: Doberge King Cake
- King Cake Hub: Worldwide debut of Epiphany
- NOCCA’s Culinary Arts Program: Purple, Green and Gold- a twist on Galette de Rios with a golden puff pastry, blueberry compote, lime cream cheese and almond pecan fillings