Krewe of Chewbacchus pivots to virtual costume contest as parade alternative

The Intergalactic Krewe of Chewbacchus announced it will cancel plans for an alternative Carnival celebration after the City of New Orleans’ recent decision to move to “modified Phase 1.”

“We are trusting the science and directing all krewe members to suspend their planned celebrations on January 23, 2021. We’re also postponing our scheduled scavenger hunt to a later date,” Chewbacchus announced in a release.

Photo courtesy: Simon Berry, SiB Photography

Now, Chewbacchus says it will pivot to a virtual costume contest and asks krewe members and the public to post photos of their Chewbacchus looks on Facebook and Instagram with the hashtag #chewbacchusnewreality2021.

Previously, krewe members planned to replace its traditional trek through the Marigny and French Quarter with a socially-distanced parade alternative on Jan. 23, when Chewbacchus was scheduled to roll.

Instead of the usual stroll through crowded streets, Chewbacchus planned to station devoted subkrewes at homes and businesses around the New Orleans to pass out throws in a socially-distanced manner while dressed in costumes. The event was also scheduled to include a scavenger hunt for fans to score “rare, one-of-a-kind artifacts.”

“The Overlords message to members, New Orleanians, and fans across the galaxy is: Don’t Panic!” krewe captains said.

Chewbacchus’ theme for the upcoming Carnival season was titled “Chewbacchus 11: Don’t Panic! The Hitchhikers Guide to the New Reality — Volume One.”


Stay connected with NOLA Weekend!

NOLA Weekend is the ultimate destination for New Orleans food, things to do, culture, and lifestyle.

Like us on Facebook | Contact us | Download our FOX 8 News app