It's the Southern belle of the fruit pies! This berry-studded pie recipe from Taste of the South is the perfect summer dessert!
Deep-Dish Peach-Blackberry Pie Recipe
Makes 1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie
2 Basic Pie Dough (recipe below)
4 cups sliced fresh peeled peaches
1 pound fresh blackberries
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 portion of Basic Pie Dough into a 12-inch circle. Press dough into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate, letting excess extend over sides of plate.
- In a large bowl, combine peaches, blackberries, and lemon juice. In a small bowl, whisk together ½ cup sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Sprinkle sugar mixture over fruit; toss gently. Spoon into prepared crust. Sprinkle with butter.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll remaining Basic Pie Dough into a
12-inch circle. Cut dough into ½- to 1-inch-wide strips. Arrange strips over filling in a lattice design, trimming to
Fold edges of bottom crust over,
and crimp as desired.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and 2 teaspoons water. Brush dough with egg wash, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 55 minutes, loosely covering with foil during last 10 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool completely on a wire rack, about 6 hours.
Basic Pie Dough
Makes 1 (9-inch) piecrust
This no-fuss dough is our go-to for a buttery, flaky piecrust.
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. In a small bowl, combine 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water and vinegar. Add ice water mixture,
1 tablespoon at a time, stirring with a fork until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Let dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened
before using, about 10 minutes.
You might also like: